May 9, 2010

Announcing A Touch Of Tuesday Weld's Weeklong Tribute To Girls In Curlers!

Ladies' Home Journal
December 1963

About a month ago, I got a new haircut. Eschewing my locks that I had grown to look just like Grace Slick's at Monterey Pop, I now have a layered cut that, I must admit, looks much much better and has a great deal more bounce and movement. And it is fun to have bouncy hair again; so much fun, in fact, that I am blonder again. My head feels lighter, my mood feels the same.

I've also taken a renewed interest in styling my bouncier, blonder tresses. Instead of letting it just hang loose or throwing it up in a clip, I have been straightening my hair, waving it...and setting it on hot rollers.

I'm in love with my hot rollers, actually. And I've gotten quite adept at doing a roller set on my hair, and I am thrilled with the results. It's a pain in the butt to roll my hair every day after I shampoo, but I am getting better at it each time, and it goes a little faster each time.

There's also something so lovely, so feminine, so retro about a roller set. For me, it harkens back to the days where housewives would spend hours at the beauty salon being worked upon by a "beauty operator" named Roz in a light pink smock at Monsieur George's House Of Coiffures. As I roll up my hair, I feel very Jackie Kennedy, very Laura Petrie. It makes me want to grab Ken and do the Twizzle.


McCalls
June 1963
(for gals who want to wear their curlers on the beach!)


September 1963
(You, too, can go a whole week without shampooing!)

By the way, I'm implementing my new policy at ATOTW: if it isn't an OUTSTANDING double-clicker with tons of readable detail, it ain't on the blog!

2 comments:

  1. An announcement like this deserves a comment, so thank you, Laura, for putting a smile on my face today. And for calling me an Online Ho.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're not old enough to remember the 1960s when women regularly went out in public with their in curlers. My mother -- who thought the practice was outrageous -- will still go from demure to ranting nutjob if you remind her about it.

    ReplyDelete