August 8, 2009

Coming Down Fast, But I'm Miles Above You


Forty years ago today, on August 8, 1969, Charles Manson sent Charles "Tex" Montgomery, Susan Denise Atkins, Patricia Krenwinkel, and Linda Kasabian out to commit what would become known as the most gruesome and savage murders in the annals of American crime.

This is what they did.


(A word of warning: this video is extremely graphic and features crime scene and autopsy photos of the victims.)

Sharon Tate's baby boy, fathered by her husband Roman Polanski, was taken from her womb and buried in his mother's arms.

4 comments:

  1. Awful, awful crime. Curiously enough, I read in "Easy riders, raging bulls" (Peter Biskind) that Manson's Family used to hang around at all the New Hollywood parties. So creepy.

    I wonder smetimes what would have happened if Manson's plans of blaming it on black people had worked. Ouch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eduardo, there is astonishing video on YouTube of Jay Sebring's funeral. It looks like a "who's who" of young Hollywood in 1969: Steve McQueen, Warren Beatty, George Peppard, John and Michelle Phillips...

    I was going to include it in this post, as it is incredibly sad to watch and very poignant, but embedding was not allowed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My father-in-law is burried in the at Holy Cross where Sharon, her baby, now here sister and mom are burried. I visit once in awhile. It is so tragic. Squeaky got out yesterday... NEVER should have happened. Steven Parent happened to go to my High School and his siblings attended with me. So many lives changed in a horrific way forever. I have NEVER seen some of this footage. It is very sad... Even the Cielo Dr. land (house has been torn down, new one there) has never had real long term owners. I imagine that would be impossible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. mollybloomofboson16 August, 2009

    I've never seen this footage either, and this crime has haunted my generation. I've listened to parole pleas from Leslie Van Houten and Patricia Krenwinkle and wondered if they had repented for this crime. Seeing the absolute horror of these murders, I think it doesn't matter.

    ReplyDelete